Compiling Python with Tkinter

Ben Ocean zope at thewebsons.com
Sun Dec 16 17:48:53 EST 2001

At 11:04 PM 12/16/01 +0100, you wrote:
>Ben Ocean <zope at thewebsons.com> writes:
>
> > In file included from ./Modules/_tkinter.c:45:
> > /opt/tcltk/include/tk.h:83:29: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory
> >
> > This file does *not* exist, anywhere:
> >
> > #find / -name "Xlib.h"
> > #find / -name "X11*"
> > /usr/bin/X11
> > /usr/lib/X11
> > /usr/X11R6
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/X11
> > /var/cache/man/X11R6
> > /etc/X11
>
>X11/Xlib.h is supposed to be in the same location that has the X
>libraries, typically /usr/include/X11, or /usr/X11R6/include/X11. If
>you really don't have the headers, you most likely cannot compile
>_tkinter.

I do not have headers. I presume I could, and should, build the X libraries.

>Since you still did not mention what system you are using, it is hard
>to suggest a procedure for installing the headers.

Sorry. RH71.

> > I never use XWindows, so I'm wondering if it's even installed properly, or
> > if I really need it for Tkinter. Your advice?
>
>What do you mean, you don't use it? Don't you use any kind of grapical
>interface (web browsers, and the like)? Or are you merely not
>developing applications for X11?

I don't use a GUI on my Linux box: I prefer the command line. I do serve
Web pages. I don't even know what X11 is used for so I don't guess I
develop any apps for it.

Kragen Sitaker writes:
 > What do you want Tkinter for if you don't use X Windows?

I'm building PIL into my python to use the libraries. Note: I work in the
Zope environment.
Thanks for your help!
BenO