PEP 276 and future iteration PEPs

James Althoff jamescalthoff at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 16 21:16:19 EST 2001

Thanks for your feedback.

I agree that the explicit index variable has some nice
advantages.  I'll try to get some more PEP work going
in early January (I'm on vacation for a little while.
:-).

Jim

===================================

Alexis Layton wrote:

I also am in favor of the simple proposal submitted in
PEP 276.

For future iteration PEPs, I think I would be more
comfortable with
explicit specification
of the index variable(s), as in

for i in 0 <= i < 5

as opposed to infering the loop variable as in

for 0 <= i < 5

But I would rather we had a broader class of integer
generator syntax such
as the much malinged [0 ... 5], especially if it can
properly describe
non-terminating
generators. (or is that iterators? It's not really an
iterator until you
put it in a loop...).