pep proposal : A date object for the standard library

Chris Barker chrishbarker at attbi.com
Fri Dec 7 13:20:23 EST 2001

sebastien wrote:
> Here my feeling about them.

good summary.

> CB>I use mxDateTime frequently, and it is a fabulous package. (...)
> CB>It makes a whole lot more sense to me to put in a trimmed-down
> CB>version that to re-invent this particular wheel.
> OB>Just a day ago the question was raised (by me) in zope list. The
> answer
> OB>was: both Guido and Marc-Andre said "no". It is a matter of
> support. Who
> OB>will support the module in the std python lib?

This is exactly the same problem you would have with ANY addition to the
standard lib. If you (or anyone else) writes a brand new nifty Date/Time
module, it will only get included in the standard lib if the issue of
how it is going to be maintained is resolved.

So:
Is mxDateTime written in a way that it would be harder to maintain than
your proposed new package?

Are there other technical issues with mxDateTime that make it unsuitable
for the standard lib?

If the answer to these is no..you might just as well fork mxDateTime,
and take resposibility for maintaining it in the standard lib. While the
license appears to allow it, I probably wouldn't do it without
Marc-Andre's blessing, but those are political and interpersonal issues,
not technical ones.

> I didn't saw other reasons than support costs

There may be other reasons... let's hear them! I know I've been happy
with it, but I've never had the need for femtoseconds.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker,
Ph.D.