Distutils bdist_rpm missing licence option?

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Mon Dec 3 22:29:56 EST 2001

Michael Hudson wrote:

> Tom Bryan <tbryan at python.net> writes:
>
>> I'm using Distutils-1.0.2 with Python-1.5.2.  I'm trying to build an RPM
>> for PyUnit.  Here's my .cfg file

> A wild guess, but could you put the licence option somewhere global to
> distutils rather than specific to bdist_rpm?

Thanks.  That put me onto the right track.

It looks like the setup.cfg file can only override options specific to the
individual setup targets, such as bdist_rpm.  Some options can only be
specified during the call to the setup function itself.  I think that the
Distutils docs might state this fact, but it is a subtle point that seems
easy to miss.  This design decision seems wise since the author probably
doesn't want packagers to override options like "licence".

I finally noticed that the chart that lists the "licence" option states
"Distutils setup script option" while the options on the following page of
my hardcopy are in a separate chart that staties "bdist_rpm option".  The
fact that the charts printed out on separate pages probably didn't help.
Next time, I'll stick to the online docs. :-)

here-we-go-a-packaging-ly y'rs,
---Tom