Good book for Learning Python??

Fernando Pérez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 6 17:38:48 EST 2001

Syver Enstad wrote:

> "gsmickle" <gsmickle at yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I am new to the list and would like to get some input on some good
>> books for learning Python?
>
> For win32 o'reillys python programming on win32 by Hammond and
> Robinson.
>
> Another good one is Programming Python (also o'reilly)

Sorry but no, that's not a book for *learning* Python. It's a heavy
duty language reference. Oddly enough, O'reilly publishes a book
called 'Learning Python', whose intended purpose I suspect is more
inline with the original poster's request.

Cheers,

f.

PS. And once you need a language reference, I'd suggest holding back
on the monster Programming Python and just get Beazley's 'Python
Essential Reference'. It seems to cover all you need for a fraction
of the weight. Between it and the builtin docs (use the indices
wisely), my copy of Programming Python gets opened about once a month.