pep proposal : A date object for the standard library

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Dec 9 23:23:12 EST 2001

Robin Becker wrote:

> Of course the
> difficulty is not that of counting the femtoseconds but of mapping them
> back into our familiar days and months.

Yes. Once you've solved that problem down to the level
of seconds, smaller units aren't any harder. So we
might as well choose a unit smaller than anything
anyone is likely to need.

Alternatively, define the format so that it includes
a scale factor -- effectively an unlimited-precision
float. Then the range would be extensible in both
directions.

Christchurch, New Zealand
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg