ANN: Simple Newsgroup Searchterm Monitor (attached)

Kragen Sitaker kragen at pobox.com
Thu Dec 6 12:59:40 EST 2001

root at 127.0.0.1 ((Five Fresh) Fish) writes:
> On 05 Dec 2001 19:28:42 -0500, David Bolen <db3l at fitlinxx.com> wrote:
> >If the scripts are really that small just keep them in text form where
> >they're readable without needing decoding.
>
> You're perfectly, technically correct.  So what?  It's okay for someone to
> post 2000 lines of Python code, but unacceptable to post 10 lines of
> UUEncoded binary?  That's just bloody stupid.

I don't understand why your dander is so up.  It's not as if David was
being rude in his post.

My view: seeing the text on my screen as part of the post is more
convenient than running my newsreader's uudecode command (which I
don't actually know yet, because I just switched newsreaders),
creating a directory to extract the file into, unzipping the file into
that directory, opening the files in that directory, and then deleting
the directory with rm -rf.  It also makes it easier to reply.

A really, really smart newsreader would display a directory of the
zipfile contents inline and let me click on individual items to expand
their contents inline.  Do you know of a newsreader that's this smart?