Tar for python? Better compressed file archives 'r us?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Mon Dec 17 02:19:22 EST 2001

Richard Jones wrote:

> Does anyone have tar written in python? I've just compared the
> difference
> between a .zip and .tgz of the same directory structure, and the sizes
> are:
>
> -rw-rw-r--    1 builder  builder   3796376 Dec 17 15:39 zope.zip
> -rw-rw-r--    1 builder  builder   2270562 Dec 17 15:55 zope.tgz

That's really zope.tar.gz; it's a gzip'ed tar file.  Under UNIX we
consider collecting a bunch of files into one (tar) and compressing them
(compress or gzip) as two separate operations.

I don't know if there's tar functionality available for Python; if not,
simple concatenation of files with a tiny header at the end would be
relatively straightforward.  There _is_, however, support for gzip in
Python; try the gzip module.

/  \ Laws are silent in time of war.
\__/ Cicero
    Esperanto reference / http://www.alcyone.com/max/lang/esperanto/
 An Esperanto reference for English speakers.