wxwin2.2 --> Seg.fault

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 19 15:24:35 EST 2001

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001 00:21:36 +0100
Thomas Guettler <newsgroups at thomas-guettler.de> wrote:

> I am looking for a GUI API for python. WxPython should be better,
> but I get a seg.fault if I press ctrl-c in the terminal the application
> was started with. I use wxwin2.2 on Debian. Is tkinter more stable?

Ctrl-C is supposed to kill an application.  I expect if you do the same to a Tkinter app you will get similar results, so I am not sure what your complaint is.  Nevertheless, you should probably download wxPython 2.3.2 which has been recently released.  2.2 is pretty old.

> If you scan through this newsgroup you get the impression that more
> people use tkinter.

This may be because wxPython has its own mailing list.

> I don't want to make a bad decision now, because changing the GUI
> library costs a lot of time later
>
> What do you think?

Tkinter is okay to learn on, but wxPython gives you more room to grow.  wxPython has a much larger widget selection and since it uses the native GUI's widgets, it tends to look better as well.  Tkinter is more widely ported, but that's changing as wxWindows gets ported to more platforms.

Good Luck.