Another distutils question

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Sun Dec 23 18:34:50 EST 2001

Fernando =?ISO-8859-1?Q?P=E9rez?= <fperez528 at yahoo.com> writes:

> I understand. What I meant to say is I don't want to add another
> module to my package, and using yours (or Rene's, I guess) would
> require adding it in, since it isn't 'standard' in the sense of
> being included in Python's distribution. Does that make sense or am
> I still mistaken?

It makes sense; I had the same concerns when adding it to PyXML.
However, the advantages outweighed the disadvantages.

> Thanks for your info though. I hope distutils doesn't die though. It seems
> like an important part of Python.

It is, and I'm pretty sure it won't die. It's just that people either
have get used to work-arounds, or have to take responsibility and
maintain it. There is actually a set of patches pending on SF which
need review, so all it needs is someone to step forward as the
maintainer of distutils - you would not need to write actual code,
just integrating contributions would be good enough (and no, Fernando,
I'm not asking you specifically - anybody can do that).

Regards,
Martin