Who needs exceptions (was Re: Two languages, too similar, competing in the same space.)

Nils Kassube nika at kassube.de
Sun Dec 30 08:36:28 EST 2001

Cliff Wells <logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net> writes:

> My PC will need to be a _lot_ faster before it can run an OS written in
> Python... maybe you should retarget that statement at programmers who

I never claimed that an OS should be written in Python. There are
several good all purpose languages who are better for this task,
e.g. Lisp and Ada.

> develop run-of-the-mill applications in C.  Like any other language, C has
> places where it shines and places where it isn't really appropriate.

Yes, it really shines for security and stability problems. Heck, even
bit-fiddling is better done using Ada.

BTW:

int add_two_numbers(int a, int b){
        return a+b;
}

What's the meaning (semantics) of add_two_numbers(23575,23575)?

Cheers,
Nils
--
"Q: What is the difference between C++ programmers and Ada programmers?
A: Ada programmers write code that blows up *on*purpose*."