Let's make Python really strict about indentation

Andrew Koenig ark at research.att.com
Sun Dec 2 15:24:01 EST 2001

Peter> I think not allowing a mixture of tabs and spaces for indenting
Peter> is reasonable, it is sloppy and hazardous.  Not allowing tabs
Peter> at all is overly intolerant. I hope that this thread is just a
Peter> bunch of hot air and that cooler heads will prevail.

There are lots of editors out there that have separate notions
of logical and physical tabs.  Suppose you set physical tabs to
every 8 positions (the usual Unix convention) and logical tabs
to every 4.  Then a singly indented line begins with four spaces
and a doubly indented line begins with a tab.

Indeed, it is not uncommon for editors to quietly turn leading
spaces into tabs by default.

I am concerned about the possibility of the compiler rejecting
programs because of default editor behavior of which beginning
programmers cannot reasonably be expected to be aware.

--
Andrew Koenig, ark at research.att.com, http://www.research.att.com/info/ark