python threads

curt finch curt at journyx.com
Fri Dec 21 07:50:58 EST 2001

We ship a web application completely written in python.

The application server daemon that sits between apache/IIS and the
dbserver would like to take advantage of multi-chip architectures
and have many threads.  Each thread would be owned by a logged
in user with it's own db connection and share cached db data with
other threads.

My understanding is that python's current threads implementation
does not really allow for this in the sense that only one thread
can be running at a time, regardless of the number of chips on
the machine, and additionally that the threads cannot really
interrupt each other and still maintain correct state.

Is that all correct?

If it is correct, it would help the scalability with regards to thruput
of our app to get this fixed and we'd be willing to help with both
the coding, the testing, and the cost of getting this accomplished.

Who would be the right people to talk to about this?

    Web-Based Time Tracking.                       Journyx
           *FREE* at                            (800) 755-9878
  http://journyx.com/wts.html                curt at www.journyx.com