Deprecate tabs for indenting (was Re: Indenting with tabs vs spaces)

Steve Lamb grey at despair.dmiyu.org
Tue Dec 4 10:31:41 EST 2001

On Tue, 04 Dec 2001 17:48:40 +1300, Greg Ewing <greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz>
wrote:
> This concern *has* been addressed, by suggesting the
> above be written as

    Which ignored the point as I stated it was a simplified example.

> Also, there seems to be some confusion in this discussion
> about two quite different kinds of formatting: Python
> block-indentation on the one hand, and cosmetic lining-up
> on the other. People arguing in favour of tabs are talking
> only about the former, not the latter.

    No, there is no confusion.  The tab people are ignoring that there is
formatting other than indention alone.

> If you need to do cosmetic lining-up, the best thing is
> to use whatever your current convention is for block
> indentation up to the syntactic level of the statement,
> and then use spaces-only after that. It still won't work
> if viewed with a proportional font, but it's the best
> that can be done using plain ASCII.

    Mixing tabs and spaces?  You just suggested mixing tabs and spaces.  Thank
you for finally seeing reason and maybe now you'll understand why tabs are NOT
to be used.

    To email: Don't despair!   |  -- Lenny Nero, Strange Days