Platform-independent GUID creation?

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Fri Dec 21 12:20:37 EST 2001

"Fredrik Lundh" <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote in message
news:EqJU7.4931$l93.1282358 at newsb.telia.net...
> Aahz Maruch wrote:
> > The problem is that the DCE/OSF GUID standard specifies using the MAC
> > address of the network card as part of a GUID.  There isn't a portable
> > way to get that, unfortunately.
>
> or luckily, if you look at it from a security/privacy perspective.

Whatever. I'll settle for a Unix "create GUID" routine and one for the Mac
(I would assume for these purposes that OSX shold be treated like some
flavor of U*ix?). These could be included along with the win32 CreateGuid()
and a platform choice to give something *reasonably* portable.

regards
 Steve
--
http://www.holdenweb.com/