Cygwin socket library status enquiry

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Wed Dec 19 09:17:04 EST 2001

[posted & mailed]
"Jason Tishler" <jason at tishler.net> wrote ...
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 08:52:20PM +0000, Michael Hudson wrote:
> > "Steve Holden" <sholden at holdenweb.com> writes:
> > > I'll see what I need to omit to get it to build, and follow up if I
> > > make progress.
> >
> > You need to build _socket statically.
>
> Please try the following instead:
>
>     http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2001-12/msg00894.html
>
> and report back to the list.

[Jason's URL specifies rebasing a number of Cygwin and Python DLLs to
overcome some known bugs in the Cygwin build]

OK, I got the build to work. Win98 didn't have all the same libraries, so
I'd recommend that the rebase tool silently, or with a simple comment,
ignores file arguments it can't find. But it did rebase everything it found.

I'm getting conflicting results on the tests. I omitted test_hotshot, which
seems to hang, and test_select (because it's a known troublemaker). I
actually got through to the end of the test cycle and restarted on the
compiled code, and was in the middle of a post to explain about the five
tests which failed, when test_popen2 hung my machine. Solid, not even the
three-fingered salute would break in.

I had hoped to provide a test output with the summary I saw from phase 1,
but unfortunately it looked like "tee" hadn't debuffered the critical part,
so I'm going to have to try again. Sorry this is so inconclusive, but the
build did pass test_socket.

This was with configure --without-thread, by the way. Let me know if you'd
like me to repeat it --with-thread.

Let me know what else you need - I'm afraid work is interfering with all
this testing, so things are going a little more slowly than I'd like. With
2.2 so close maybe this will have to (and should?) wait for 2.3...

regards
 Steve
--
http://www.holdenweb.com/