Wrap C function which takes variable lengthed parameters?

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Dec 16 23:37:17 EST 2001

Just van Rossum wrote:

> But you can't contstruct a va_list and pass it to a _vararg_ function;

You can construct a wrapper that will handle up to
some maximum number of parameters, by exploiting the
fact that a varargs function doesn't care if you pass
it more parameters than it's expecting -- it will just
ignore the rest. So, you can do e.g.

  whatever_argtype *a[10];
  /* unpack the Python args into a and NULL terminate if needed */
  whatever_function(a[0], a[1], a[2], a[3], a[4], a[5], a[6], a[7],
a[8], a[9]);

Christchurch, New Zealand
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg