ETA for Win32all under Python 2.2?

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Sat Dec 29 03:36:29 EST 2001

David Brady <daves_spam_dodging_account at yahoo.com> writes:

> Where do I get the package to build?
>
> How do I build the package?

Others have already referred to the build instructions, at

http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/win32/BuildingExtensions.html

Follow the link "downloads", then "information on getting the
sources".  If you don't understand the instructions on these pages,
don't hesitate to ask.

> If your reply has anything to do with CVS, how the
> heck do I get at it from Win32?  (Lots of people have
> told me they've heard of other people doing this, but
> I'm starting to think it's an urban legend.)

Well, I'm doing it myself, so I know it's not a legend. The
instructions on getting a CVS binary, and on getting the Win32all
source tree should be pretty clear.

If you also want the Python source tree proper using CVS, see

http://python.sourceforge.net/sf-faq.html#c2

> > (if it doesn't, please submit a bug report).
>
> *sigh*  Vast, man, vast.  How do I submit a bug
> report?

Go to

http://sf.net/projects/python

Select "Bugs", then select "Submit New".

> P.S. Please note, I may be ignorant, but I'm not
> stupid.  If there is a good place that explains how to
> get and build Python and its packages, I'll happily
> wade through the documentation.

Please report success or failure on this list. Notice I've never build
the extensions myself, so I don't know how easy it is. If you succeed,
you may consider packaging them as well. I believe you need the Wise
installer for that; you'll find links on Mark's pages as well.

If you have the Wise installer, and you've managed to package the
extensions, don't hesitate to publish your binaries; contact
python-dev at python.org if you don't know how to publish them or post to
comp.lang.python.announce when you have published some somewhere.

I think this reliance on a single person to build a binary package is
unacceptable, especially since Mark has written all this documentation
to get others started. It is time that Win32all maintainance is
off-loaded to other shoulders.

Regards,
Martin