SSL Sockets in Windows

Michael Abbott michael at rcp.co.uk
Fri Dec 7 06:49:23 EST 2001

I'm running Python 2.1 on Windows NT, and I'd like to use socket SSL.  I
see that socket.py and socketmodule.c both contain support for SSL sockets,
but this does not appear to be compiled into my distribution.

Is this a problem with my distribution of Python, or is there some
fundamental reason why SSL support isn't actually enabled?

To be precise, here's the startup banner for my copy of Python:
    Python 2.1 (#15, Apr 16 2001, 18:25:49) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32