Cygwin socket library status enquiry

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Tue Dec 18 15:25:49 EST 2001

"Michael Hudson" <mwh at python.net> wrote in message
news:uellsjwre.fsf at python.net...
> "Steve Holden" <sholden at holdenweb.com> writes:
>
> > "Michael Hudson" <mwh at python.net> wrote in message
> > > I'd like to include some more up to date information in the README --
> > > currently all it says is "we don't know the current state of play wrt
> > > cygwin on 95/98/Me."
> > >
> > > This applies to anyone else who has access to the relavent software
> > > too, of course.
> >
> > Haven't downloaded candidate 1 yet, but I'll try to do so in the next
few
> > hours and give it a try on Windows 98. I presume you won't mind about
the
> > 2.2-specific feature tests failing ...
>
> Huh?  Of course I'd mind!  I think I must have misunderstood you here...
>
> > I refreshed my Cygwin installation yesterday (if only Python
> > packages installed so easily!) so I hope this will be recent enough.
>
> Yeah, I meant "in the last few weeks", so yesterday is fine!
>
> Thanks a bunch!

The news isn't good, I'm afraid. At present I can't build Python: the gdbm
build gives the following errors (sorry about the wrapping):

building 'gdbm' extension
gcc -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -DUSE_DL_IMPORT -I. -I/e/Pytho
n-2.
2c1/./Include -I/usr/local/include -IInclude/ -c
/e/Python-2.2c1/Modules/gdbmmod
ule.c -o build/temp.cygwin-1.3.6-i686-2.2/gdbmmodule.o
E:\PYTHON-2.2C1\PYTHON.EXE: *** couldn't allocate memory 0x10000(4128768)
for 'D
:\CYGWIN\BIN\CYGSSL.DLL' alignment, Win32 error 8

      0 [main] python 704155 sync_with_child: child -619731(0xA4) died
before in
itialization with status code 0x1
   2443 [main] python 704155 sync_with_child: *** child state child loading
dlls

error: Resource temporarily unavailable
make: *** [sharedmods] Error 1

I don't know whether this is because Cygwin patches haven't been integrated
(I know Jason submitted them if the remarks he put in the 2.2.1-2
documentation are anything to go by).

This is a fairly esoteric problem, I'm thinking: I wouldn't claim to be a
hardened C hacker, and there appears to be a memeory allocation conflict
here.

It has already been reported (thirteen days ago) as

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=5470&atid=105470&func=detail&aid=48
9709

and it apparently looks like it won't be fixed in the 2.2 timeframe -- it
needs attention from the Cygwin team, who aren't synchronized to Python
releases. So I have just added a note that the bug applies to 2.2c1/Win98 as
well. We'll see what happens...

I'll see what I need to omit to get it to build, and follow up if I make
progress.

regards
 Steve
--