/usr/bin/env: python: No such file or directory

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 20 16:52:34 EST 2001

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001 13:13:44 -0800
Chris Barker <chrishbarker at attbi.com> wrote:

> There are two problems here:
>
> 1) This would only work if we all, as a community, established this
> convention. So far I have only seem "python" used, for all versions...

Very true.

> 2) It only applies to *nix. Windows and the Macintosh would need
> different conventions. I think a platform independent Python based
> solution is a better way to go.

I don't disagree.

[snip]

> >>  It might be helpful if the python interpreter took a flag such as
> >>  --required-version or >> --minimum-version so that a warning could
> >> be printed if the script requires a version different than what is
> >> available on the system.
>
> How would the interpreter know what version was required? That's exactly
> what I think we need...A way to tell the interpreter what version is
> required by a script.

That is what the flags would be for: to tell the interpreter what version/minimum version is required.  Of course, since only Unix supports shebang scripts (does Mac OS X ? It is Unix, isn't it?  Sort of?) this wouldn't be much help on other platforms.

How about #pragma directives? =)

Regards,

--
Cliff Wells