simple, lightweight component based development in python?

Tripp Scott tripp81 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 6 10:39:29 EST 2001

is there already a lightweight component framework in python?

i need cross platform compatibility so COM is out of my list.

there's CORBA and XPCOM and their python ORBs/binding, but i'm
still looking for something simpler, straightforward, and more
lightweight. i do not see the need to interface to other
languages in the near future so a python-only solution will do
-- though the possibility of bridging to COM or CORBA would certainly be nice.

what i want is a framework that allows me to specifically deal
with "components" (i.e.: i design interfaces, implement them
with one or more python classes, and later assemble the
components). the framework should provide the following functions:

- enable a client to locate components which implement a desired
interface, and instantiates them;
- instantiate a remote component (probably with a simple proxy
object mechanism);
- transactional feature would certainly be nice;

however, i do not desire these features:
- some registry database in a binary format of some kind (i'd
rather put all my components in a directory and it's
automatically "registered");

the application i am building is a non-visual one (to be run
over the Web); i am still looking here and there for an existing
solution for a couple of weeks, but if none such beast exists
will consider to build one myself -- probably only the minimal
feature set first.