ANNOUNCE: SCons 0.01 now available

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Dec 18 06:41:34 EST 2001

[Posted and mailed]

Steven:

Contratulations to your first release of SCons.
I've been watching the project loosely from a distance and
now I will check it out the next time I need make or similiar.

I've been wondering:
How is the plan to make the transistion to actually use SCons
to build itself? :) I am not sure that SCon should rely on another
tools...

The webpages is missing some nice and simple examples.
It is really hard from the documents to have a quick impression on
how a SConstruct file will really look like that replaces one Makefile.

Thanks,
	Bernhard

In article <mailman.1008305779.12195.python-list at python.org>,
	Steven Knight <knight at baldmt.com> writes:
> I'm pleased to announce that the first alpha release of SCons, version
> 0.01, has been released and is available for download.  You can download
> SCons from the download page at the SCons web site:
>
> 	http://www.scons.org/
>
> Or through the download link at the SCons project page at SourceForge:
>
> 	http://sourceforge.net/projects/scons/
>
> RPM and Debian packages and a Win32 installer are all available, in
> addition to the traditional .tar.gz files.
>
> SCons is a software construction tool (build tool, make tool) written in
> Python.  Its design is based on the ScCons design which won the Software
> Carpentry build tool design competition in August 2000, which is in turn
> based on the design of the Perl-based Cons build tool.
>
> Distinctive features of SCons include:
>
>   - configuration files are Python scripts, allowing the full use of a
>     real scripting language to solve build problems
>   - a modular architecture allows the SCons Build Engine to be
>     embedded in other Python software
>   - a global view of all dependencies; no multiple passes to get
>     everything built
>   - the ability to scan files for implicit dependencies (#include files);
>   - improved parallel build (-j) support
>   - use of MD5 signatures to decide if a file has changed
>   - easily extensible through user-defined Builder and Scanner objects
>
> This alpha release has been a long time coming (we initially hoped to
> release in September), but the tradeoff is that the extra time has
> allowed us to provide more functionality than just a toy.  Owing to a
> rigorous testing methodology that we've followed throughout development,
> we believe the quality and functionality in SCons 0.01 to be sufficient
> to support "real work" from day one.
>
> That said, this *is* an alpha release, and we fully expect that some
> of you will exercise end cases that our current tests don't cover.  We
> eagerly await your bug reports.
>
> An scons-users mailing list has been created for those interested in
> getting started using SCons.  You can subscribe at:

> Lastly, I'd like to acknowledge the entire SCons team, who have put in
> many hours contributing ingenious solutions to a thorny set of problems:
> Chad Austin, Charles Crain, Steven Leblanc, and Anthony Roach.
>
> We're anxious for your feedback, so don't be shy about letting us know
> what's good, what's not, and how SCons can be improved to help you solve
> your build problems.
>
> On behalf of the SCons team,
>
> 	--SK

The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)