Wild-eyed thinking aloud: Python System Management Infrastructure

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Fri Aug 3 13:16:29 EDT 2001

William Annis wrote:

>         Recently I have found myself designing a database-driven
> system to keep track of our machines, what they do, where they sit,
> etc., and I keep thinking "William, you should write an
> *infrastructure* for all this system junk you do."
[...snip...]
>         I'd rather not do this alone. So, if there are other Unix
> admins, or NT admins, for that matter, who want to see their favorite
> language used to develop something like this and are willing to do
> some actual work, please contact me.  If there's no interest, I'll
> just crawl back into my office and hush up. :)

I'm not a sys admin, and I'm rather overcommitted right now, but this
idea certainly does not sound crazy.  If you're serious about doing
some work on it and you plan to use an OSI-approved Open Source
license, then you should consider setting up a project page at
http://www.sourceforge.net/  Create a project web page and post your
design.  Start a mailinglist for your developers.  Discuss the project
and hack up a prototype that you can play with and refine.  Throw
away the prototype and try again.  Repeat.

Post on comp.lang.python.announce whenever you have a new stable
release.

Good luck,
---Tom