getting *term window dimensions w/o curses

Erno Kuusela erno-news at erno.iki.fi
Sun Aug 5 11:05:37 EDT 2001

In article <slrn9mqmjl.2rf.sill at sill.silmarill.org>,
sill at optonline.net (Andrei Kulakov) writes:

| Anyway, this solution doesn't work in 2.1 - termios module doesn't
| have this attribute, (TERMIOS is deprecated and doesn't have it either).

hmm, it works on my machine (debian, self built python 2.1):

>>> import TERMIOS
/usr/local/lib/python2.1/TERMIOS.py:7: DeprecationWarning: the TERMIOS module is deprecated; please use termios
  DeprecationWarning)
>>> TERMIOS.TIOCGWINSZ
21523
>>> import termios
>>> termios.TIOCGWINSZ
21523

| What's tigetstr?

my guess is that it's a library function for accessing the terminfo
database. i don't think python exposes it.

  -- erno