Dumb python questions

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Wed Aug 22 02:16:21 EDT 2001

[Bengt Richter, on the marshal format for longs]
>  (a little-endian string made from the internal int chunk count
> and the following n chunks of two bytes each holding a little-endian
> short 15-bit number)
> BTW, the marshaled long format is apparently platform-dependent,

That's not apparent to me <wink>, and it's intended to be
platform-independent.  marshal is what Python uses internally to create .pyc
and .pyo files, and they're routinely transported across platforms.

"15" is a constant across all platforms, and endianess is forced by
reading/writing one byte at a time.