Building Python2.1 - LONG_BIT error message

chris hinds chris at palefish.co.uk
Fri Aug 3 16:25:06 EDT 2001

Martin von Loewis wrote:

> Boey Pak Cheong <hlboey at pl.jaring.my> writes:

>>From my limited knowledge, I looked at pyport.h and figured that
>>LONG_BIT must be defined somewhere else since sizeof(long) is defined as
>>
>>4. But I just can't figure out where. Has anyone faced this problem and
>>found a solution or workaround. Please help.

> That's a bug in the glibc pre-release version that was shipped with
> Redhat 7. You need to update glibc, as Redhat also advises you to do.

Hi,

I got exactly the same error trying to build python 2.1.1 on Redhat 7.0
and afaik I've got the latest RH glibc et al. Has anyone had any luck
making on RH7.0?

I suppose the fact that it all builds perfectly on my suse and debian
boxes perhaps suggests that I aught to go and wrestle with bugzilla.redhat?

Any help much appreciated.

Regards,
Chris.