Python versions (was Re: os.execl())

Richard Jones richard at bizarsoftware.com.au
Mon Aug 27 22:07:15 EDT 2001

On Tuesday 28 August 2001 08:27, Mats Wichmann wrote:
> Unfortunately Red Hat have recently decided that they won't change
> major versions of key packages on minor Red Hat releases... so we're
> stuck with Python 1.5.2 as the default until, oh, about RedHat 8.2.
>
> Folks need to be told that Linux is wonderful, but Red Hat doesn't
> necessarily prove that in their choice of what to bundle...

Mandrake 8.0, a red-hat-alike (which I find significantly nicer than Red Hat
from a non-sysadmin user installation perspective) shipped with python 2.0
some months ago. Mandrake's point-zero releases seem eminently usable...

I'm currently running 2.0 at home in a bog-standard install and 2.1.1 from
the Mandrake cooker at work. No complaints in the months I've been using them
both, and I'm a full-time Python developer.

I think that people need to know that Red Hat is not Linux.

    Richard