Typing system vs. Java

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Thu Aug 2 17:49:03 EDT 2001

Quoth <brueckd at tbye.com>:
| On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Donn Cave wrote:
|> I guess you don't want any more examples of problems type checking
|> could solve?
|
| Why would that be the case? Because the examples so far have reinforced
| the notion that today's type-checking systems can fix those problems but
| only at a tremendous cost (increased development time/effort, increased
| testing time, increased maintenance time)?

Because we have demonstrated to your satisfaction that there are
indeed common problems that type checking could solve?

The rest is only details.  You seem to have assessed that tremendous
cost by looking at my novice solution in a language you don't know at
all, and then I have some questions about your logic (type checking
needs more testing?)  But now that we are agreed that there is a domain
of problems to be solved, we can move on to consider solutions in that
domain.  Or not, but anyway that's progress.

	Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu