How do I avoid this global SyntaxWarning?

Jacob Smullyan smulloni at smullyan.org
Sat Aug 25 23:03:15 EDT 2001

On a related note, you can get the same error with code like the following
(which I recently generated via serendipitous stupidity):

def foo():
        global t
        t=whatever()
        # other confusing and ugly things happen, then
        # I accidentally redeclare t as global,
        # and get the same warning
        global t
        # etc

I have no problem with the redeclaration generating a warning,
but the warning message, while accurate (the line t="whatever"
does indeed precede the second global statement) doesn't make obvious
the real problem, which is that there are two global statements.

(Well,  who said that error messages are supposed to indicate what is
really going on, anyway!  There are too many programmers around anyway
nowadays competing with me for recession jobs -- let's make them even
more cryptic!)

Jacob Smullyan | smulloni at smullyan.org