automating word 2000

Jim Abrams jim at publishingresources.com
Mon Aug 20 16:59:23 EDT 2001

paul at boddie.net (Paul Boddie) wrote in
<23891c90.0108200520.2626acde at posting.google.com>:

>"dsavitsk" <dsavitsk at e-coli.net> wrote in message
>news:<2Kbf7.769$5N2.215075 at news1.iquest.net>...
>> i have an application that generates MS Word documents.  the
>> generating part works fine.  the trouble is that often while one
>> document is being written a second one will be started.  when this
>> happens, the second document becomes the default, both automating
>> processes only write to the default one making for a big mess (one
>> document with stuff in it from two controlling programs).
>
>I have heard that Word's automation interface (or whatever you want to
>call it) won't permit the isolation you require, at least for Word 97.
>So, perhaps a queuing system is the order of the day for what you are
>trying to achieve.
>
>Paul

Some help might be here:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q257/7/57.ASP
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q288/3/68.ASP

I haven't looked through them (and other linked KB articles) enough to be
sure, but I vaugely remember summing up that a queue would be necessary.

I'd be very interested to hear of any discoveries you make concerning this,
so please post your findings.

-J