[Package] FontTools: a font manipulation library

Chris Gonnerman chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net
Sat Aug 11 11:06:21 EDT 2001

I just sent the following message to SourceForge.  They won't let me send
messages to the mailing lists you have set up, as described below.

I'm afraid I won't be able to help at all as I can't participate in your
mailing lists.  To be clearer, my website provider doesn't allow account
names longer than 8 characters, and services postmaster via the "wildcard"
alias to my personal account.  It works PERFECTLY except for VRFY requests.

When my mailserver tries to send mail to the list, it gets this back:

... while talking to mail.sourceforge.net.:
>>> DATA
<<< 550 rejected: Cannot accept mail from
<chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net> because your server doesn't have a
postmaster account: Response from newcenturycomputers.net [208.234.11.243]
was "550 <postmaster at newcenturycomputers.net>... User unknown" when checking
for existence of a postmaster mailbox. RFC 822 section 6.3 (which you have
to abide by if you send and receive Email) states that you are required to
have a postmaster mailbox that is routed to the person responsible for mail
(http://www.rfc822.com/).  We need to be able to contact you at the
postmaster address to resolve potential problems if need be before we can
accept your mail. Please create a postmaster account at your site
554 <fonttools-discussion at lists.sourceforge.net>... Service unavailable

to the 550 error returned.

I understand why you are doing this, in the sense that you want to ensure
that you can contact the ISP.  YOU CAN CONTACT THE ISP at the postmaster
account!  JUST FINE.  But VRFY won't say so.

How do you handle the many ISP's that don't support VRFY due to spammers?

BTW the email section below is TOO SHORT for my email address, which is:

chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net

For the highly-visible "member of the community" that you are, these are bad
things to be doing.