bug report: [ #447945 ] time.time() is not non-decreasing

Bruce Sass bsass at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Sat Aug 4 15:29:16 EDT 2001

On Sat, 4 Aug 2001 zooko at zooko.com wrote:
>  Skip Montanaro wrote:
> >
> > How long should I wait for this to print out an error message?  On my
> > Mandrake 8.0 system running Python 2.1.1 I'm letting it run (and run, and
> > run) and have not so far seen a problem.
>
> Hm.  I took your modified version of my test script and added to the end:
>
> print "i, ", i
>
> And I get plenty of errors...

Python 2.0.1 (#0, Jun 23 2001, 23:50:30)
[GCC 2.95.4 20010319 (Debian prerelease)] on linux2
>>> import sys, time
>>> x=0;i=0
>>> while 1:
...     ox = x
...     x=time.time()
...     if x < ox:
...         print "WRONG: ox=%s, x=%s\n" % (ox,x)
...         break
...     else:
...         i=i+1
...         if i%10000 == 0:
...             sys.stdout.write(".")
...             sys.stdout.flush()

How many iterations should I let this go through before I can say it
is not a problem on this Debian testing/unstable (or Woody/Sid, if
you prefer) box?

Something to keep in mind... packages in a pure testing (Woody) system
can go for weeks without bug fixes and security upgrades.

<...>
> So my `gettimeofday()' sometimes returns a decreasing value.
>
> Hm.  So I suppose I should report this as bug to debian...

I'd try to replicate it with a C program first, and upgrade to the
libc in unstable before doing so.

- Bruce