Tkinter vs. PyQt

Paul Rubin phr-n2001 at nightsong.com
Mon Aug 27 08:18:18 EDT 2001

Rob Andrews <rob at jam.rr.com> writes:
> > Your list is missing PyGTK, based on GTK+.
> >
> Also of some interest is wxPython (http://www.wxpython.org/). And
> Jython/Swing is interesting to say the least, but for people who aren't
> coming from a Java background it may not be the ideal first approach to
> play with.

OK, sure, I'd like to hear more about PyGTK too.

I know enough about Swing to not be interested in it.

I wrote a simple test application (RPN calculator vaguely inspired by
HP-35) in Tkinter just as an exercise.  It was very easy to write,
looking at the docs in

 http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter

as I went along, but at least with those docs, there were some simple
things I wasn't able to figure out how to easily do.  For example, I
don't see an easy way to make the buttons in a column come out the
same size (though their labels were of different lengths).

My calculator is at

  http://www.nightsong.com/phr/python/calc.py

if anyone wants to look at it.  Comments are welcome but don't expect
much--I just threw it together to try out the toolkit, not to make
something slick or useful.  I might try to fix it up further sometime
though (and there's a function or two that I didn't get around to
implementing).

I'm impressed though that with Tkinter I was able to implement a
more-or-less working calculator with just 3k of code.  I'm sure
the Micrsoft Windows calculator is at least 100x that size <g>.

I'm still very interested in hearing comparisons between Tkinter
and other Python toolkits.