Hello people. I have some questions

Chris Barker chrishbarker at home.net
Thu Aug 30 15:06:39 EDT 2001

Alex Martelli wrote:

> Right now, as my home-LAN's router/firewall/gateway/proxybox,
> I'm setting up an old Pentium-90, 64MB-RAM machine (with Linux,
> so far, though I _am_ looking hard at OpenBSD, for that sense
> of total security it gives:-), but I'm also hungrily eyeing a
> special offer at my local supermarket -- US$500 for a Duron-900,
> 128M RAM, 20G IDE disk, fast CDROM, decent monitor/video/sound/&c
> (which I don't need for its job, though), *and a PCI bus* (rather
> than the bad old ISA in my old box) so I could mount 2 or 3 cheap
> ethernet cards without hassles.  This way I could run a decently
> configured Squid and other 'heavy' proxies right on the box...
> (not really consistent with maximum-security ideas, but...).

Alex,

I have no idea where you live, but I have an old Pentium 90 w/ 64MB and
PCI bus that I would be happy to give you, if you pay for shipping from
Seattle, WA, USA.

It happily ran Linux for years, and got me through my dissertation. Last
I tried, it crashed on boot with a problem with either the SCSI adapter
or disk (it is an all-SCSI system, quite hot for it's day! Adaptec 2940
fast wide, 1GB Fujitsu disk) I already had a new machine, so I never
bothered to figure out what was wrong with it. IFnothing else, it should
run fine if you slap a IDE drive in it.

It's yours if you want it....It's sad to see it get more and more
obsolete sitting in my closet.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker,