Python vs PHP

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.pp.ru
Thu Aug 30 12:47:15 EDT 2001

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Gillou wrote:
> I'm trying to convince my boss to start a new project (Web service + Web
> "heavy" dedicated client) with Python when he prefers PHP.
> He's arguing that it's easier to find PHP programmers than Python
> programmers in France (he's right)
> I'm arguing that any good PHP or Java programmer can be a good Python
> programmer in one week (I'm right).
> Unfortunately, learning Zope is some more difficult than Apache/mod_php
> (he's right, I started Zope 6 months ago an I'm still dead brained on some
> problems)
> Can you give me some arguments to make the decision ?

   But Python is not Zope. Python is The Best Programming Language you can
use to write command-line programs, GUI programs, daemons, CGIs and all that.
Can you write non-CGI programs in PHP? No. But even if you do web
development, you need to write non-web programs, cron jobs, etc. Writing
them in one language is much better than writing them in a bunch of
PHP+sh+awk+whatever.
   Even if you need a web application server, Zope is not the only Python
server. There is SkunkWeb (http://skunkweb.sourceforge.net/), Webware
(http://webware.sourceforge.net/),
Quixote (http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/quixote/),
Twisted (http://www.twistedmatrix.com/). You can really choose whatever