how do i make a grapical thingie?

Chris Barker chrishbarker at home.net
Fri Aug 31 16:45:28 EDT 2001

I'm not sure why I am bothering ot help you, as you have been pretty
rude, but you got an interesting discussion going earlier (and a great
quote about VB from someone (sorry I forgot who---Alex Martelli?)

There are quite a few GUI toolkits for Python available, but for a
newbie like yourself, TK is probably the best option: only because it
comes with the standard distribution, and has a little more
documentation that the others.

jeroen paul goudsmit wrote:

> This site about tkinter really sucks!
> http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/hello-tkinter.htm

Actually , it is a very nice tutorial

> look what they say:
> # File: hello1.py
>
> from Tkinter import *

There is nothing wrong with the tutorial, but there is something wrong
with your Python installation, TKinter is not installed correctly. The
fact that this is not obvious to you makes it clear that you have not
yet learned the fundementals of Python. As someone suggested to you
earlier, GUI programming is NOT the easiest thing to learn in Python,
and I've found that most GUI toolkit tutorial assume that you understand
quite a bit about how Python works alleady. When I set out to learn
wxWin, fairly early in my Python career, I was stumped until Iwent back
and learned about OO programming in Python. Once I did that, I could
easily understand the docs and examples.

So, what you need to do is:

1) Learn some more about Python itself, for NON-GUI things. Go through
the Python tutorial at:

http://www.python.org/doc/current/tut/tut.html
or start with one of these:

http://www.honors.montana.edu/~jjc/easytut/easytut/

http://www.crosswinds.net/~agauld/

http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/

Ask your basic questions on:

Once you have a grasp of Python the language, it is time to start
learning to use a GUI toolkit. Choose one (TKinter is a fine choice) and
go through it's tutorials. If

"from TKinter import *" fails, you have an installation problem. Post a
note to the tutor list, or here, GIVING DETAILS ABOUT HOW YOU INSTALLED
PYTHON, and you will get help, Also, be polite. If you are frustrated,
remember that you have not given money (or anythoing else) to anyone
here, so they are under no oblicgation to help.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker,
Ph.D.