Deposing Dictators

Stephen Horne steve at lurking.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 6 21:52:38 EDT 2001

On Sun, 5 Aug 2001 19:47:50 -0400, "Tim Peters" <tim.one at home.com>
wrote:

>[Stephen Horne]
>>> I'd like to point out that the large number of 'viruses' I've been
>>> e-mailed over the last couple of weeks won't affect my viewpoint. I
>>> thought this was an innocent case of other people being infected at
>>> first, but it's rather strange that when I reply to these e-mails to
>>> warn people that their machines have been infected the addresses
>>> mysteriously don't exist and the messages consistently bounce.
>
>[Neil Hodgson]
>>     This is not restricted to you. Large numbers of people have been
>> receiving these probably due to the Sircam worm/virus. I've received
>> some and I'm for the division change.
>
>Ah, *that's* what this is about -- "I send you this file in order to have
>your advice", etc.  webmaster at python.org has gotten hundreds of these,
>possibly thousands.  We thought they came from Stephen <wink>.  My primary
>ISP filters them out, so I've only seen about 50 of them; in *most* cases,
>the return address is in fact bogus, although I haven't seen that aspect
>confirmed in the tech reports.

I am not talking about Sircam. When I say I read a little Spanish,
that means enough (with the aid of a Spanish dictionary) to know what
is being said. The Spanish message I was referring to was not a virus,
and was described in a separate paragraph from the one where I
complained about viruses.

As my interpretation of the bogus return addresses in the viruses I've
recieved was incorrect, I appologise for that.

The message I recieved in Spanish, however, was quite blatantly aimed
at me personally and from someone on this list who has an interest in
this topic. Unless, of course, Sircam has a specific interest in
Python division?

Add on the fact that one copy of Sircam I recieved was in Spanish,
with a bogus email address, and recieved on the same day, and yes, I
was wrong to make the accusation - sorry - but I think you'll
understand why I made that mistake.