Hello people. I have some questions

Markus Schaber markus at schabi.de
Wed Aug 29 12:39:03 EDT 2001

Hi,

Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it> schrub:

>> And i've got one more question. What's the limit of python. What can
>> you
> not
>> make in it. Vb stops somewere, c++ stops later. Weere stops python?
>
> VB (and Python) stop where there's no runtime environment to
> support them (C++, like C, is designed to be able to do without
> a support environment -- it does need a *compiler* to prepare
> the program for execution, but once compiled and prepared the
> program can run on the environments it was prepared for, which
> may be "such and such machine without any other software AT
> ALL", e.g. "embedded" applications).
>
> Say you'd like a little program of yours to run in the browser
> of anybody who looks at your site.  VB will stop at any browser
> that lacks VB runtime support (Internet Explorer, recent versions,
> has it, albeit, reasonably, limited to the VBScript subset;
> Netscape and Opera do not; etc, etc).  Python will stop at any
> browser that lacks Python runtime support (and, apart from the
> old Grail browser that was written entirely in Python, I know
> of no browser that *COMES WITH* Python runtime support -- you
> could easily ADD such support to Internet Explorer, or Mozilla 6,
> since they're highly-modular browsers, but you probably cannot
> count on the visitors to your webpage having done so!).

If you use Jython and AWT as windowing toolkit (maybe swing is also
possible in current browsers), than you can ship a carefully designed
python application as .jar, even as an applet, if you want to. There's
seemless interaction between Python, Java and most other JVM compilable
languages (http://grunge.cs.tu-berlin.de/~tolk/vmlanguages.html seems
to have a rather complete list on those).

markus
--
"The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of
each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty