Dumb python questions

Paul Rubin phr-n2001 at nightsong.com
Fri Aug 24 03:56:15 EDT 2001

"Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> writes:
> I remember there used to be a freely downloadable adjunct to
> Visual C++ to let it produce code for Windows CE, which as you
> explain later is your target environment -- I dunno if it's still
> available and if so on what terms.  One would have to start by
> porting the Gnu MP library though -- presumably in the C-only
> version (CE targets quite a few different CPU's, right?)... maybe
> a Python fork to expose a couple of readonly properties and a
> factory function for long/binary-string interconversion would be
> easier (of course, one would still have to have a C compiler for
> WinCE to rebuild the forked Python, sigh).

I've started to lose interest in WinCE.  I mainly want to run on a
Compaq IPAQ handheld, but it turns out that there's a pretty good
Linux port for it, so I'll probably just write for that.  If and when
I get enough users that WinCE becomes important, I'll worry about it
then and acquire WinCE dev tools if I really have to.  But I generally
I wouldn't want to mess with building Python for WinCE.  I'd just try
to write in Python portably and use an existing WinCE Python port.