Dictionary viewer and editor

Rupert Scammell rupe at metro.yak.net
Fri Aug 10 17:06:27 EDT 2001

Pythoneers:

Are there any programs out there that can take in a dictionary object
of arbitrary depth, and display it in a text or graphical tree format?
For example, a set of nested dictionaries in the form:

my_dict = {'temperature': {'maximum': 100, 'minimum': 32}, 'humidity':
{'current': 63, 'minimum': 42}}

Would be displayed in a form something like:

my_dict

  temperature:
    |   |_ maximum: 100
    |   |_ minimum: 32

    humidity:
       |_ current: 63
       |_ minimum: 42

I took a cursory look around VoP, but didn't see anything.  I could
always just write it, but want to make sure that I'm not re-inventing
the wheel first.
Ideally I'd like a system that'd display a dictionary in this tree
form, then allow you to edit parts of the tree interactively.  If
anyone can point me to one component or the other, I'd be most
grateful.

Thanks,

--- Rupert

Rupert Scammell