Python versions (was Re: os.execl())

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Aug 27 14:29:38 EDT 2001

    Sheila> I had suggested that he provide a more recent version in a
    Sheila> separate directory, but in the end, I got to install the
    Sheila> upgraded Python in my own server space. (And it takes no small
    Sheila> chunk of space, for those of us on small, basic web hosting
    Sheila> packages.)

You can trim back some of the space from a standard install by deleting all
the .pyc or .pyo files.  If you never use "python -O" or "python -OO", the
.pyo files will never be used.  On my sytem the .pyo's take up 7MB and the
.pyc's almost 9MB (just how much you save will depend on what you have
installed in the site-packages directory).  If write access to your
python2.1 directory tree is possible by those scripts needing .py[co] files,
you can just scrap all of them and let those scripts compile only what they
need.

You can trim another 4MB by deleting the test/ directory and another 100K or
so by deleting lib-old (just make sure you don't actually use any of those
modules in your scripts).

--
Skip Montanaro (skip at pobox.com)
http://www.mojam.com/