Python on riscos

Tim Howarth tim at worthy.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 20 17:06:37 EDT 2001

In message <slrn9o2rak.2vt.Gareth.McCaughan at g.local>
          Gareth.McCaughan at pobox.com (Gareth McCaughan) wrote:

> Tim Howarth wrote:

> > How big/difficult would it be to port Tk using the toolbox modules ?
>
> The value of the time it would take to do it would probably
> exceed the cost of a new machine running Windows or *nix.

That's what I thought might be the answer (it's beyond my
knowledge/ability).

> How important is it that the thing should run on your Risc PC?

Not very, I've used Python to do lots of file mangling scripty kind of
stuff which I run on either RISC OS or Windows but I much prefer to
write with StrongED/work in the RISC OS environment.

What I would occasionally like though, is the ability for a user to
(say) choose an input file or output file via a GUI interface - one
which would work on Windows or RISC OS.

I suppose I could knock up my own simple system which would load
relevant modules dependent on host OS.

(Unfortunately I haven't got round to either SWI acces to Acorn wimp or
Tk/WxWindows partly cos of cross platform-ness.)

--
___