why is python slow on Solaris?

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald at ncl.ac.uk
Sun Aug 5 14:56:07 EDT 2001

On 5/8/01 5:46 pm, "Skip Montanaro" <skip at pobox.com> wrote:

>   Tony> This is on an Enterprise 3500 - UltraSparc at 400MHz (ie a big box)
>   Tony> Can anyone tell me why this is so, and more importantly, what I
>   Tony> can do to compile up python to run faster on Solaris?
>
> Well, you didn't really give any indication what optimization you used with
> gcc.  I'd start there.  There are a number of SPARC-specific flags for gcc
> as well as a number of different optimization levels you can try.

Thanks for the reply Skip, yes Sorry I did miss that part out;

gcc -fPIC -g -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes

I've built a copy of GCC 3.0 with a 64-bit architecture, but there are
problems with that as the following shows;

% file python
python:         ELF 64-bit MSB executable SPARCV9 Version 1, dynamically
linked, not stripped

Python 2.1 (#6, Aug  5 2001, 16:34:01)
[GCC 3.0] on sunos5
>>> import pystone
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "pystone.py", line 37, in ?
    from time import clock
ImportError: ld.so.1: ../../python: fatal: libgcc_s.so.1: open failed: No
such file or directory

Any thoughts would be appreciated...
Tone