sockets broken on New Install???

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Mon Aug 20 08:39:58 EDT 2001

Sheila King wrote:

> OK, so I *thought* I'd upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1.1. I have Linux host with
> shell account for my web site.

Me too.

> ImportError: /big/dom/xthinkspot/lib/python2.1/lib-dynload/_socket.so:
> undefined
>  symbol: ERR_load_RSAREF_strings

I guess the socket module built with SSL support but the local
OpenSSL installation is built with RSARef lib (required patent
licensing). Since RSA patent expired someone might have removed the
RSARef lib without rebuilding the local OpenSSL installation. Well,
just a rough guess. If you do not need SSL support try to switch it
off.

Ciao, Michael.