New Python User Question about Python.

Grant Griffin not.this at seebelow.org
Sat Aug 25 10:24:33 EDT 2001

Andrew Dalke wrote:

> Grant Griffin wrote:
> >But in all honesty, how often do you really
> >_need_ to do generic programming?  I'm guessing, only a very
> >small fraction of the time--1%, maybe?
>
> All the time.  I work with file-like objects, which are file
> handles, or cStringIOs, or StringIOs, or wrappers around file
> handles that allow pushing data back, or wrappers around compressed
> file streams, or popen file handles, or socket connections, or ....
>
> I also work with strings that can be "" or u"" strings.
>
> And there's code that uses a character string just as well as
> it does a (biological) Seq object.

Since my system supports dynamic typing as an option (though that part
is still in the proof-of-concept stage), it sound like you might be able
to use it.

> >Dynamic typing always comes at a cost (overhead)
>
> Yep.
>
> > in order to give you a benefit
> >which--in the vast majority of cases--you don't need and can't even use,
> that
> >is, generic programming.
>
> But I do need it, and enjoy it.  I know how to do it in C++ but my
> fingers (and brain) aches thinking about it.

It just goes to show that no one system does meets everybody's needs
<wink>.

nudge-nudge-wink-wink-say-no-more-ly y'rs,

=g2

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation            http://www.iowegian.com