Dumb python questions

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Tue Aug 21 11:04:29 EDT 2001

In article <9lhbpk01tgd at enews3.newsguy.com>,
Alex Martelli <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote:
>"Andrew Dalke" <dalke at acm.org> wrote in message
>news:9lfq7c$kn0$1 at slb5.atl.mindspring.net...
>>
>> Huh?  "right now?"  There's almost nothing being dicussed except
>> for '/' which will break even 5+ year old code.  The new keyword,
>
>Hmmm -- it looks to me we were VERY close to a BDFL pronouncement
>that assignment to aninstance.__class__ was going away, and that by
>default classes were going to be unmodifiable -- both for performance
>reasons, and to protect 'typical users' from themselves -- and it may
>yet happen, of course.  "dangerous" seems an apt adjective here.

No, we weren't.  Part of the reason I paid little attention to the
brouhaha was because it was remarkably easy to channel Guido and figure
out that *at* *worst* the restriction would only apply to classes
inheriting from object.  Yes, even after the type/class unification was
complete.  Once Guido realized that the decision would affect things
other than just aninstance.__class__, he backed away *very* quickly.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                 http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

"I now regard a fact as a hypothesis that people don't bother to argue
about anymore."  --John Burn, quoted in Lawrence Wright's _Twins_