2.1.1 installer hangs on Win2k Professional

Mike Harrison harrisonm7 at home.com
Fri Aug 17 14:10:58 EDT 2001

Has anyone gotten the windows installer to get past the selection of
components? On my win2k machine, it just hangs when I click next at
that point and I have to terminate the process. It gives me an error
that the win16 subsystem is unstable and must be shutdown. Is this
installer a win16 program? If so, why?  Is there any way of installing
Python on windows without using the non-win2k-compatible installer?