Python 2.x on Debian stable

Radovan Garabik spam at melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk
Sat Aug 4 12:12:39 EDT 2001

Rob Tillotson <rob-news at pyrite.org> wrote:
 : carlf at panix.com (Carl Fink) writes:
 :> Not directly, but the preinstall and postinstall scripts in the
 :> archives are (I've read) Python scripts.

 : While I would love to confirm this, I'm sad to report that it is not
 : true.  In fact, nearly all of the scripts found in Debian packages are
 : shell scripts, with a few exceptions in that other 'P' language.

 : Debian policy allows the "scripts" to be anything executable, but to
 : my knowledge nobody has done control scripts for their packages in

and if he did, the package should Depend or Pre-Depend on python

anyway, as long as debian-provided python is in the path before
your locally installed one, you are safe.

| Radovan Garabik  http://melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik |
| __..--^^^--..__         garabik @ fmph . uniba . sk       |