Templating and syntactic sugar

Tom Robinson tom at alkali.spamfree.org
Mon Aug 6 10:37:22 EDT 2001

Hi,

To teach myself more python, I've set about writing a text templating
system.  I know others exist, but none of them is exactly what I want.
:)

Currently I have the following sort of stuff in the template file to
be replaced by the system:
<? tpl.var="xyzzy" ?>

And the code to set this up looks like this:
    tpl = Template('template.html')
    tpl.var('xyzzy', 'Hello, world!')
    print tpl.output()

You can get and set variables in the template with tpl.var(), but I
want to be able to do something like tpl.var.xyzzy = "Hello, world!",
just because I like that syntax, but still have this actually make a
method call.  I'm pretty sure this is possible in python (with
operator overloading?), can anyone tell me how?

tom at alkali.spamfree.org
remove 'spamfree.' to respond